Sunday, May 6, 2018

The Moral of the Story Is: Expect the Unexpected

APRIL 30, 2018


Hey, Everyone! :)

Oh my goodness, I don’t even know where to begin with explaining how this week went. You know those moments where something super unexpected happens and all you can do is just sit there and have no clue what to do or say? This week has been just a whole bunch of those moments! Hahaha both for amazing and confusing reasons. I will try to share what I can haha

Well, I still have no clue where to begin... so I guess I will just start with the most recent and work my way around the week! This morning we had our transfer calls!! We went into the call with a pretty idea of what we expected to happen, but then—as is consistent with the pattern of missionary work—the unexpected happened! Before I get to the actual call, I have to explain something that happened on Friday. I know, I know, sorry for the suspense  On Thursday, we were in a lesson with one of the less-active members we are working with (who, by the way, was just ordained to the office of Elder last week and received the Melchizedek Priesthood! So proud of him!) when we suddenly get a call from President Reynolds. I answered the phone and President asked me if he could have my companion! Well, the assistants came Friday morning and took Elder Rice down to Lynbrook. In our mission we call this being “midnighted”. So, Elder Rice has been down in Lynbrook since Friday and will not be coming back next transfer.... Elder Schroader and I have had an absolutely amazing weekend! Miracle after miracle! But I will get to that in a little bit. Okay, back too transfer calls this morning! So, we were expecting Elder Schroader and I to stay together because they took Elder Rice last week, but once again we have learned another lesson in the indiscernible pattern of missionary work! Elder Schroader is OUT! So I will be finishing my mission here in Flushing, Queens with a new companion. Also, President Reynolds just called me and released me from my assignment as a District Leader. He informed me that my new companion will be the district leader for the first time on his mission, and that he chose me to train him to be a solid leader. So, I will be a junior companion for my last transferand will be focusing on helping my new companion become a better leader than I have ever been :) 

Sorry for the long paragraph! Hahaha I will keep the next one relatively short :)

First of all, here are a couple MIRACLES!!!!!!! Do you remember my investigators Jose and Irina in Midwood, Brooklyn? Jose was the one who completely changed his life around by overcoming things such as heroine, cocaine, stealing cars, robbing houses, weed, cigarettes, etc. And Irina was the wonderful Russian woman who had to travel everywhere in her automated wheelchair. These two have a really special place in my heart. I am so so so so so happy to tell you all that they were both baptized and confirmed this last week! God truly is a god of miracles and never ceases to bless and strengthen His children. Words cannot express the gratitude I feel toward our loving Heavenly Father. 

Next miracle! Isabella is an investigator Elder Rice and I found last transfer. She is amazing and I love her to death! She has come to watch General Conference with us and also made it to Stake Conference two weeks later. However, we hadn’t been able to sit down and have a lesson with her due to her busy work schedule working at the hospital. We have been praying for God to help her have the desire to make time to meet with us and on Friday God answered that prayer in a very interesting way. As Elder Schroader and I were knocking up in College Point, we got a call from Isabella. Her voice sounded flustered and as if she was about to cry. She rapidly explained what has been going on her life over the past couple weeks with one of the tenants in her house. To make a long story short, Isabella was doing this man a favor by allowing him to live in one of her rooms she rents out until he found a job. Well, the man abused this privilege and did some really terrible and illegal things to Isabella. He then twisted the situation and is pressing charges on Isabella for something that never happened. Isabella called us asking for help and asking if we could pray with her before she goes over to the police station to press charges on him. We met her at thee church and talked for a bit. We taught her about priesthood blessings and offered to give her one. She was extremely grateful to receive one and said she felt much better afterwards. I am so grateful for the blessing we all have to enjoy the comforting and strengthening influence of God’s power in this life. Isabella asked us if we wouldn’t mind meeting with her regularly to continue teaching her more about the Church. God truly answers prayers and allows us to experience trials in order for us to grow closer to Him.

Funny story for the week! So, thee transfer before I got here in Flushing, Elder Rice and his companion had been teaching a Russian couple named John and Lydia. However, they dropped them a while ago due to some complications in their teaching. Well, we felt that it would be a good idea to give them a visit last week and see how they are doing. We got there and they let us right in and sat us down and gave us lemon cookies and grape juice! They have such pure hearts :) our conversation was going really well until John brought up his concern again from when they were being taught previously...the Sabbath day. Yes, John and Lydia are 7th Day Adventist and hold very strong to the doctrine of celebrating the Sabbath on Saturday. I have taught quite a few 7th Day Adventists on my mission, so I felt confident we could help them understand why we reverence the Sabbath day on Sunday. Well, throughout our conversation, John whipped out scripture after scripture from the New Testament AND The Book of Mormon that talked about honoring the Sabbath day and keeping it holy. John and Lydia have read the entire Book of Mormon and have a firm testimony that it is true! However, they claim that they are the only true Mormons because they celebrate the Sabbath on Saturday. We tried just about everything......and then.......we realized the reason Jon and Lydia were not understanding. The word “Sabbath” in the Russian language translates to “SATURDAY”. To them, Sabbath literally means Saturday! So every scripture to them reads, “honor Saturday and keep it holy”. I am very proud of them for their devotion to God, but we have no clue how to get past this one haha...

I have so so so many more miracles and blessings to share with you all, but I guess I will have to hold on to those ones due to the length of this email! Hahahaha sorry...... I will be sure to put pictures for those who just skim or skip to the bottom haha :) 



MUST READ: 
This past week, I read the most life changing talk I have ever read! It was given by Elder Bednar at a BYU-I devotional. Please read it and let me know what you think of it!

“A Reservoir of Living Water” Elder David A. Bednar BYU-I Devotional



I love you all! Make someone smile today :) :) Have an amazing week!

Elder Snell


PICTURES!!! 
1) We decided to start growing plants in our window sill! We got the seeds from a cereal box! :) :) 
2) Carla the Cactus
3-6) Pictures from our last week at Flushing Meadows Park!
7) Ever seen Men in Black?
8-13) District Activity at Flushing Meadows Park!!! :) :) :)
14-15) Meet the Spengleans!! I love this district so much! I am super sad to see half of them go, but I am still looking forward to the coming transfer :)
16-17) Irina and Jose on their special days!









No comments:

Post a Comment