Monday, March 13, 2017

It's Always In the Last Place You Look

Hello, everyone!

Transfers were Tuesday! Elder Casares was called as a trainer, so
we got to the Rego Park chapel early for him. While we were there,
President Reynolds and the Assistants kept telling me that I am going
to get a great companion! They wouldn't tell who it was, though. They
would just tell me how amazing he is and then laugh when I asked who
it would be. One of the Assistants leaked it to Elder McCleary who
told Elder Jensen (my trainer). Elder Jensen then told me! Hahaha! I
am staying in Plainview for at least another 6 weeks and my new
companion is Elder McConkie! I was SO excited when I found out who my
companion was going to be! I have loved working with him so far this
week! I have learned so much about how to be a better missionary from
him and how to better help the members and the ward. Great things are
happening!

Last night, Elder McConkie and I decided that for the rest of the
night after dinner we should focus on some of the less-actives that no
one has met before. Nothing really came out of these look-ups until it
was about time to go home for the night. We roll up to the last house
for the night and go knock on the door. They let us right in! It was a
Mom, who has been less-active since high school, and her three
daughters who are all not a member of the Church. We started asking
them all questions trying to get to know them as much as we could. Two
of the daughters are in band in high school, so we had a bit to talk
about hahaha. We asked the Mom if she had ever read the Book of
Mormon. Turns out that she had never read it before for herself. We
talked about what the Book of Mormon is and what it's divine role is
in our conversion to the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Elder McConkie
grabbed the copy of the Book of Mormon that I was carrying and opened
up to a random page wanting to share a scripture. He opened right up
to 2 Nephi 31 and read verses 20-21. I shared with the family that my
favorite part of that passage is where God says, "Ye shall have
eternal life." I testified to them that if we truly "feast upon the
words of Christ....and endure to the end" then we have been promised
that we will get to live with our Heavenly Father again and with our
families for eternity. The 17 year old daughter started to cry, so I
asked her what was on her mind. She said that she missed her Aunt who
had just passed away last year. I told her about my Grandpa who had
also passed away recently. I know that we will see our loved ones
again after this life. I feel my Grandpa with me all the time. I know
that the Book of Mormon is true and that the Plan of Salvation which
is outlined in the Book of Mormon is a true and perfect plan created
by our Heavenly Father. The Spirit was so strong as Elder McConkie and
I taught this family about eternal families. They all agreed to read
the Book of Mormon and to pray about it. I know that someday they are
going to accept the Gospel and be able to enter into the temple one
day as a family and be sealed together for time and all eternity. I
just love the Plan of Happiness so much!

Sorry for that extremely long paragraph! Haha I would like to now
commend those of you who actually made it to this portion of my email.
Consider yourself commended. So, Elder McConkie and I decided that we
should go to Seminary this morning! It was so nice to go to Seminary
again! Sister Pinelli and Sister Whitney both teach the 14 and up kids
from the ward at their homes. Both classes start at 5:45am Monday
through Friday. We woke up at 4:30am this morning and went to Sister
Pinelli's class. We talked about how our bodies are a temple and how
we can take care of them. We even did role plays! Whoo!!! It was a
party! We are going to Sister Whitney's class Wednesday morning. I
am so excited!

Well, welcome to the part of my email where I run out of ideas to
write about. It is a sad destination to reach. But alas, all good
things must come to an end. We did a bunch of regular stuff and are
continuing to see a lot of success with the Plainview ward.

That's about it for this week! I love you all and wish you the best!

Elder Snell


P.S. I was really lame this week and didn't take any pictures.

P.P.S. Actually, I found this one!!!!! Krista gave me a bag of
Starburst jelly beans (SO GOOD!), and I started sharing them with the
Bishopric. Brother Sorensen and I engaged in a lovely conversation
about Eastertime jellybean season and all the marvelous jellybean
species that show their faces around this time of year. He said that
he always stockpiles a bunch of jellybeans of all sorts of kinds and
flavors so he has them throughout the year. He also said that he would
get me one of each. I thought he was joking, but right in the middle
of Stake Conference yesterday, he sits down in front of Elder McConkie
and I, does a fake yawn-stretch with a plastic bag full of jellybeans,
and places the bag right in my lap. He then proceeds to stand and
return to his seat with his wife. SWEET!!! Literally! Brother Sorensen
is awesome!



No comments:

Post a Comment