Sunday, January 14, 2018

Today's Special; Explosive Pancakes

Jan 8, 2018

Hello, Friends!

This week has been pretty insane! I don’t have a lot of time to write today, so I will have to keep it relatively short. 

We have our heading. Here we GOOOOOO!!!!!!

We had our exchanges with the Assistants this week starting on Wednesday. We took a 2 hour train ride up to Queens to meet them at the mission office. We then spent the rest of Wednesday proselyting with them in their pool over in Lynbrook. It was a pretty good day. We taught a few lessons (one of which was in an apartment invested with mice... kinda distracting when trying to teach the Plan of Salvation haha), got into a few doors while knocking, and I went to their district meeting. Exchanges are usually just 24 hours, so we were planning on spending the night at their apartment, doing personal study in the morning, and heading back to Brooklyn. However, on Thursday morning we woke up to a whiteout blizzard! It was super crazy outside! President Reynolds asked that no body drive for the entire day, so we were stuck in Lynbrook with the Assistants for another day! We did our personal study and called our investigators. Eventually, the assistants decided that it was game/movie day! So, we played a few games and watched “Johnny Lingo”. Throughout the entire snow day, and for the next few days after it, I was getting call after call from senior citizens who were passing my number around all of Brooklyn to their friends telling everyone that we were the “Snow Shoveling Mormons” and that we would come and shovel their driveway for free. Now, that was very true! We are hooked up to the City’s snow removal hotline. Well, since I was stuck in Lynbrook, I was acting as a receptionist all day taking calls and sending the missionaries over in Brooklyn out into the whiteout blizzard with their shovels to dig out somewhere around 15-20 houses. We spent the night at the Assistants again and headed back to Brooklyn Friday afternoon. It was a pretty good 48+ hour exchange! Hahaha it was kinda weird being out of our pool for almost 3 days though.

Well, the craziness didn’t end there. Once we got back to Brooklyn on Friday, we didn’t have time to go home at all. We immediately grabbed our shovels and went to work digging out cars and responding to more senior citizens who kept passing my number to their friends and requesting free snow removal. It was super fun to be able to run around shoveling snow all day, though! We also found a few new investigators from it! :) 

Friday night, Elder Lee and I had to run to the hospital to give a blessing to a member’s sister. We got there and the sister was super unconscious. We tried waking her up, but she was super not waking up! So, we gave her the blessing without getting to talk with her or anyone really. The member is in Bermuda, so it was just Elder Lee and I there. It was interesting. I am really grateful for the Priesthood! I love being able to be an instrument in the hands of God to be able to bless and serve His children!

Saturday was Mission Leadership Council. It ran from 9:00-3:00. Long meeting! It is usually longer, but President decided to make this one a little shorter. I was super grateful he did because we had a really important lesson we needed to get to with Brother Kelly’s friend, Leslie! Leslie is already one of my favorite investigators to teach! He is so intelligent and has lots of amazing questions! He also recognizes how God has led him to find the Mormon church and is really interested in it. I will have to tell you more about Leslie next week!

Last thing and I will be done. I promise! 
We had our district activity today! We decided to have a potluck lunch all together! Half of our district is from Haiti, so there was a lot of chicken and rice and plantains and other Haitian foods! Elder Lee make Korean BBQ, Sister Slade made some super good chocolate pecan pie, and I made................. German Pancakes!!!!!!!!!!!! It was super fun! However, this is the embarrassing part! Hahaha I used a glass baking pan to make my German pancakes. After they were done cooking, I placed the pan on top of the stove to cool off a little. I guess the metal was a little too cold and the pan was a little too hot and they decided not to be friends... about 30 seconds after placing the pan on top of the stove, the glass baking pan EXPLODED!!! The glass went flying all over the place!!! Hahahahaha I have now learned why hot pads are a thing 

Anyway, it was overall a super hectic and awesome and long week! 

I will stop writing now :)

I love you all! Have the most splendid of weeks! Pray for snow for the mountains! My dad needs it ;)

Elder Snell





Pictures!
(My glass sheet that blew up...)
(Subway performer! He also played Rhapsody in Blue, but it was a long video so I didn’t attach it)
(This is a Book of Mormon that a man had that we knocked into. He bought it years ago in a book store)








No comments:

Post a Comment