Monday, April 24, 2017

Kings of Queens

Happy Monday!!

This week has been pretty fantastic! I am absolutely loving my new area and new companion. I have been transferred to...........................Rego Park, Queens!!! Yup! I am now in the city and get to use the busses and trains to get everywhere we need to go! It is a lot of fun, and you get to meet SO many people all day every day! Serving in the city is completely different from serving out on Long Island. There are always people walking around outside, tons of noise from the cars and trains, and delicious food carts on every street corner. Such a party! It is SO diverse out here! White people are definitely part of the minority. So far, I have met people from 41 different countries that I remembered to write down. Super cool stuff!!!!

My new companion is Elder Imlay! He is from St. George, Utah. He just finished being trained by Elder Asplund here in Rego Park, so this is the start of his third transfer on his mission. Elder Imlay is such a great missionary! I have already learned tons from him!   The ward here is really awesome! I am still working on getting to know the members, but I was able to meet a bunch of them yesterday at church. Almost every person I talked to is not originally from New York, so it is unbelievably diverse. 

Quick story: On Wednesday, Elder Imlay and I were walking home from the subway station and were passing the church. We starting talking to this girl, Swekchha, who was walking the same direction as us on her way home as well. As we were talking, she asked who we were and seemed pretty excited when we told her we were missionaries. She said that it had been a really long time since she had gone to any kind of church and really wanted to get back into the swing of religion. So, we invited her to come to church with us on Sunday at 1:00. Swekchha said she would try to make it. We then exchanged Facebook information and sent her a friend request once we got home. She messaged us that night and said she was grateful that she was able to talk with us. We kept in contact with her throughout the rest of the week up until Sunday. Guess what!! She actually come to church and sat with us through sacrament meeting! It was super awesome! We introduced Swekchha to the Sisters in our district, Sister Panoussi and Sister Persinger, and now they will be teacher her! On Thursday, Elder Imlay and I were on our way out, and we passed by the church again. A man recognized us as missionaries, flagged us down, and started talking with us. His name is Kazi and he is from Bangladesh. We think that he said he would like to come to church sometime, so we invited him to come to ours at 1:00 on Sunday. It was loud outside and I couldn't understand his accent very well, so I didn't really know what to think about that conversation. On Sunday, we went to Sacrament meeting, Gospel Principles class, then Priesthood meeting. In Priesthood meeting, the man conducting ask for visitors to introduce themselves. In the far back corner, Kazi stands up and introduces himself! We talked to him after church, and he said he is really considering joining the Church! We are going to meet with him at the church on Wednesday, so I will have to let you know about that one next week.

Here is another super cool story: On Tuesday, we get a text from a guy named Adrian saying that he wants to meet with us at the church so he can learn more about the Book of Mormon. We meet with him on Wednesday and it turns out that he has a Mormon friend that he met in the military. His friend introduced him to the Book of Mormon and told him that if he wanted to learn more, just go onto Mormon.org and request to speak with missionaries. So that's exactly what Adrian did! Our lesson with him was super spirit-filled. Adrian said that he is really excited to begin reading the Book of Mormon and changing his life for the better. Later on in the week, we got a text from Adrian saying, "Just wanted to let you guys know that I am reading the Book of Mormon and I am really liking what I am reading!" In two days he had already read up to 1 Nephi 18! He wasn't able to make it to church this week, but I am super excited to meet with him again and see where the gospel takes him!

Funny Story for the Week: We went to the library to print off a few things for Brother Nuñez, our ward mission leader, and this really drunk guy walks in. He saw us as he came into the library and starts yelling, "You can't change me, you Mormons! I'm the devil's child! They're laughin' at me! Don't do that to me, I'm too far gone! Good try, Mormons!" At least he knew who we were, right? Maybe someday he will want to learn that he is actually Heavenly Father's child. There are a lot of very interesting people in the city...and drunk people...and sketchy people. It's such a party!!!! 

Well, here was a lot more that happened this week as well. However, this email is long enough already, so I will cut it off here hahaha. I hope you have all had a wonderful week! Love you all!

Elder Snell


P.S. My apartment is in Rego Park, Queens, but it probably isn't the most safe place to have mail sitting in our mailbox. So, if you so desire to send me a letter or a package, just send it to the Mission Office located less than 2 minutes away from my apartment :) here is the address:

85-69 60th Drive
Elmhurst, NY 11373




Plethora of Pictures!


1-4) My super awesome, fancy, new Polaroid camera a less-active gave me!
5) Our Darth Vader Toaster
6) Warning given by the manager of the La France apartment building in Kew Gardens, Queens.
7-9) Waiting for our train in Jackson Heights!











No comments:

Post a Comment